I enjoy studying the bible, and applying what I learned. My topic of interest lately has been “reprobates’. My concern was to make sure that I was in the faith, and not a reprobate myself.
Talk is cheap, even in the bible. What I learned so far was posted as “Focused Study: In the Faith I“, and now I am going up to the next level.
What is a Reprobate?
Reprobates are people disapproved of by God, and will not enter the kingdom of God. Dying in sin and being a reprobate means you go to hell. According to Scripture, this is what I learned:
- Titus 1:15 “To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled. 16 They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.”
- My thoughts: Reprobates profess to be of God, but they do works God says send you to Hell. Warnings after warning is disregarded by the reprobate. They are disobedient to God’s clear directive. They are false teachers, if perhaps they even attempt to do so.
- 1 Corinthians 6:9 “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.”
- My thoughts: Reprobates practice some form of unrighteousness listed here. If these sins were pro sports, they would be everyone’s number one pick. They refuse to give up these sins and refuse to repent. They will not make it!
- 2 Corinthians 12:20 “For I fear lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I wish, and that I shall be found by you such as you do not wish; lest there be contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, backbitings, whisperings, conceits, tumults; 21 lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and I shall mourn for many who have sinned before and have not repented of the uncleanness, fornication, and lewdness which they have practiced.”
- My thoughts: Reprobates stay in sins they should have given up when becoming true disciples of Jesus Christ. They are still sleeping around and being disobedient to God. Instead of their sin being gone and repented of, it is alive and well and still in their possession.
- 2 Corinthians 13:5 “Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified (reprobate). “
- My thoughts: This is a strong warning to the church. Reprobates are not in the faith, though they think they are. their actions speak louder than their words! When examined, they continue in sins they had prior to calming to be of God. They do not repent. Jesus Christ is not in them, and they practice unrighteousness. Reprobates are disqualified from entering the kingdom of God!
- Romans 1:26 “For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased (reprobate) mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness…”
- My thoughts: Reprobates exude unrighteousness! There are multiple warnings on this. The big one today is same sex relationships and the support of it.
- Romans 6:1 :”What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?”
- My thoughts: Reprobates think God’s grace is there so they can sin all they want. They refuse to repent and give up their sin. They have excuses to treasure it, rather than treasuring and being obedient to God.
How does this apply to me?
After studying these chapters, I immediately began to look to see how it applied to me. I’m not going to face God and be called a hypocrite, and thrown into hell. Blessed is the doer of the word of God, and not just the hearer. I talked to God in prayer, repented of all sins I could think of, and I asked Him to reveal to me if there was anything I missed.
What came to mind, I prayed about. Now, it is time to move forward.
Am I in the faith state?
There are many scriptures that make promises to people who are in the faith. People in what I call the faith state will experience first hand the signs, wonders and miracles promised by God (Mark 16). True believers don’t seek the signs, but rather the signs are a result of their dedication, growth and obedience to God. These people are able to prove God is real, because they have first hand experience with His promises being kept.
Reprobates can’t do this, and don’t seek to to even try. Reprobates are not obedient to God. The signs and wonders God promised are nowhere in sight around them. They are disobedient to God, argumentative and in sin. They are not in the faith, and they are not saved.
So, now that I know some of what a reprobate looks like, what will I do now?
I have latched onto God, and I am going to hold on for dear life! I have repented of my sins, and continue to study to mature even more in the faith. I am mature in the faith, yet still just a student. I am not a master. There is one Master for me, and that is God Almighty.
Let’s repent of our sins, and seek God out while He can be found!